Desert Sun Child Development Center has been serving East Valley families since 1977. It was started by Peg Brokaw, who had been a teacher in the Child Development Laboratory at Arizona State University. The school rented various locations until the spring of 1996, when the school purchased property at 1512 West Elliot Road in Chandler, Arizona. The property had been the home of the Dobson family when their local farm was in operation. The home was built in 1951, and therefore required extensive renovations in order to meet state licensing, city code, and school use requirements.